Reporting to: Fee Earner or Department Manager
Hours of work: Full time
Salary: £18k – £20k dependent on experience
Purpose of the job:
The primary role is to provide direct support to your line manager and the department, to enable the team to operate at optimum efficiency. This will include but will not be limited to the responsibilities given below. The employee is expected to use a high degree of self-management and initiative to ensure the smooth running of the support functions within the team. The role is intended to support all Residential Property fee earners within the Residential Property team in Chester.
Key responsibilities (not an exhaustive list):
- Attend clients both in person and on the telephone and to provide such support in a professional and friendly manner in keeping with the firm’s standards of client care
- Open new files through the case management system and prepare initial correspondence and documents
- Deal with all post completion procedures to ensure that transactions are correctly registered with the Land Registry, that file balances are speedily distributed, and that files are swiftly closed and archived
- Administer filing in both the paper and Seneca file which will include scanning post and saving it to the Seneca file, filing and the opening, closing and storage and retrieval of client files in accordance with the procedures contained in the office manual
- Ensure the confidentiality of all of the firm’s and clients’ documentation and information
- Arrange for all tasks such as copying, scanning, binding as required by the fee earner
- Provide support to other offices, departments and secretaries when time is available and when requested by your line manager or department manager
- Undertake training when required and have a responsibility towards self-development
- Attendance and participation at departmental meetings when requested
- Gain and maintain IT and telephone skills appropriate to modern legal practice; specifically the systems and facilities used by the firm (Seneca, transcription, MS Office, Laserforms, i-Room, phone system etc)
- Liaising with clients, solicitors and estate agents and other third parties to ensure all files can be initiated proactively
- Accurately entering data on the case management system.
- Responding to correspondence on the files using the milestones on the case management system.
- Dealing with phone calls from clients, estate agents and other third parties
- Issuing complex Sale Contract Packs, including Probate and Unregistered Properties
- Identifying and obtaining missing documentation from a review of a file
- Being able to deal with sale enquiries
- Checking a title for a freehold property
Skills & attitude
- In tune with the firm’s mission statement and core values and committed to demonstrating and developing these values.
- Effective communicator with clients, visitors and colleagues by telephone, face to face and in writing.
- Conscientious, with strong attention to detail.
- Typing skills of around 45wpm to 50wpm with good accuracy.
- Carry out a range of tasks in an orderly, timely and conscientious way.
- A team player with a positive and cheerful attitude.
Experience & education
- Previous relevant experience in a legal environment and ideally within a residential or commercial property department would be an advantage (6 months experience).
Please note, SAS Daniels LLP will not share your personal information with any third parties, unless requested by you, but may share your personal information internally within the firm for the purposes of recruitment. To learn more, view our privacy notice.