Hours: 37.5 FT
Salary and benefits: £18-22k, dependant on experience
Reporting to: Head of Accounts
Purpose of the Job
- Assist in the smooth running of the practice by attending to the various financial transactions arising from the work of the firm and its internal operation.
Key Responsibilities (not an exhaustive list)
- To provide support to the Head of Accounts as necessary, including:
- Process and record all financial transactions in accordance with the Solicitors Accounts Rules (SARs) and the firm’s internal policies, including logging and banking incoming cheques, issuing cheques, petty cash and bank transfers, and recording automated payments in and out of the firm’s bank accounts
- Conduct reconciliations of bank, petty cash accounts and client ledgers in accordance with the SARs
- Record incoming and outgoing invoices in accordance with VAT legislation, the SARs and internal policies including, where required, the preparation of outgoing invoices.
- Administration of the purchase ledger, including verification of purchase invoices by reference to purchase orders and delivery notes in accordance with VAT legislation and internal policies
- Prepare and process working papers and assist with the annual audit.
- The preparation of credit control advice and the pursuit of debtors by letter and telephone.
- VAT administration and returns
- Financial management reporting
- Prepare and record staff remuneration, staff expenses, and PAYE and to maintain personnel records insofar as they impact upon payroll
- Undertake training when required and have a responsibility towards self-development.
- Attendance at group meetings when required.
- To handle matters in accordance with procedures outlined in the Office Manual and Employee Handbook (on SAS Protect online) and to produce a high standard of work.
- Gain and maintain IT and telephony skills appropriate to modern legal practice; specifically the systems and facilities used by the firm. (Seneca PM & CM, MS Office, Citrix, i-Room, Cisco phone system etc.)
Skills & Attitude
- In tune with the firm’s mission statement and core values and committed to demonstrating and developing these values.
- Effective communicator with clients, suppliers, visitors and colleagues by telephone, face to face and in writing.
- Carry out a range of tasks in an organised, timely and conscientious way.
- A team player with a positive and cheerful attitude.
Experience & Education
- Trained in the principles of bookkeeping and preferably with sound experience in legal cashiering and legal accounts management as per responsibilities defined above.
- Between 2 to 5 years’ experience
- Good degree of education; formal accounts qualification desirable.
- IT skills are an essential requirement particularly MS Excel & Outlook.
- Report to and be supported by the Head of Accounts.
How to Apply
To apply for this vacancy, please send your CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected].
Please note, SAS Daniels LLP will not share your personal information with any third parties, unless requested by you, but may share your personal information internally within the firm for the purposes of recruitment. To learn more, view our privacy notice.