Article Category: Employment Law & HR – Insight & Opinion

Can Pension Benefits Be Included In Settlement Agreements?

The Pensions Ombudsman (PO) recently made a decision, during an appeal, on a settlement agreement that included pension benefits. The agreement promised to increase a Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) member’s pension and to allow payment of full pension in the future from the member’s 55th birthday. In this case, an appeal was made by an… Read more »

Pregnancy And Maternity Discrimination

As MPs demand urgent government action to tackle a ‘shocking and unacceptable’ rise in pregnancy and maternity discrimination in the workplace, I consider the issues facing both employees and employers when managing the combination of motherhood and working life. Is more legislation the only answer? My twin gave birth to her first baby seven months… Read more »

Your Guide To The Apprenticeship Levy

From April 2017 major changes will be introduced to the way in which the government funds apprenticeships. These changes will be known as the apprenticeship levy. Some employers will now be required to contribute and there will be changes to the funding for apprenticeship training. This will be especially relevant to organisations that have a… Read more »

Should Employees Be Able To Self Certify Sickness Absence For Two Weeks?

According to research from accountancy firm PwC sick days are costing UK employers about £29 billion a year. Sick leave accounts for nearly 90% of absence bills with other types of leave, e.g. compassionate leave and dependants leave, taking up the other 10%. Currently employees who are off sick from work can ‘self certify’ for… Read more »

Is There Discrimination At The BBC?

It has been reported recently that the BBC are advertising vacancies setting out specific requirements on the ethnicity of applicants. Allegedly two white applicants have been turned down for a 12 month trainee role as junior scriptwriters because the BBC wanted people from “ethnic minority backgrounds”. The BBC stated it was to address an “under-representation… Read more »

How Has EU Membership Shaped UK Employment Law?

Since the passage of the European Communities Act 1972, UK courts and tribunals must interpret national law in accordance with European law. As the EU membership debate rages on, we’ve set out eight of the key European cases that have had a major impact on UK employment law. No cap on discrimination compensation Marshall v… Read more »

ACAS Report An Increase In Workplace Bullying

This week ACAS have reported that workplace bullying is growing in the UK and that many people are too scared to speak out about the issue. They have received approximately 20,000 calls in the past year related to bullying and harassment, with some callers reporting that workplace bullying caused them to self-harm or consider suicide…. Read more »