Ending a same sex relationship

Year Published: 2021

If you are in a same sex relationship and you feel that the relationship has come to an end, there are various options available to you. For ending a same sex relationship, the separation process largely depends on whether you are cohabiting, in a civil partnership or married.


Cohabiting couples

The law for cohabiting same sex couples is the same as the law for cohabiting opposite sex couples. There is no formal process required to end the relationship, however you may require legal advice on how you deal with shared property upon separation. If you are selling a property or one party is buying out the other, you may wish to enter into a separation agreement to record what has been agreed between you.


Couples in a civil partnership

If you are in a civil partnership and want to bring your relationship to an end you will need to get permission from the court who can either move forward with a Separation Order (if the civil partnership has lasted less than 12 months) or a Dissolution Order.

The dissolution process is similar to the process for a married couple in that you must prove to the court that the civil partnership has broken down irretrievably on one of the following facts:

  1. The respondent’s unreasonable behaviour.
  2. 2 years’ separation with the respondent’s consent.
  3. Five years’ separation.
  4. Desertion by the respondent for a period in excess of 2 years.


It is important to note that the fact of adultery is not available to you if you are dissolving a civil partnership.


Married couples

The procedure for married couples is very similar to the process for couples in a civil partnership save that divorcing on the fact of adultery may be possible if your partner commits adultery with someone of a different sex.


In summary, if your partner has an affair with someone of the same sex then you cannot divorce them on the ground of adultery as adultery is defined as “voluntary intercourse between a man and a woman who are not married to each other but one of whom is married to someone else.” If your partner commits adultery with someone of the opposite sex, then this ground would be available to you.


It is advisable to seek legal advice before you apply for divorce or dissolution and if you would like further information about this topic, please contact Cheryl Haywood.


Related Tags: , ,

Your Key Contact:

Share This:

Disclaimer: Our insight & opinion content provides general information and although we endeavor to ensure that the content is accurate and up-to-date, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to its accuracy or completeness and therefore the information should not be relied upon. The content should not be construed as legal or other professional advice and SAS Daniels LLP disclaims liability for any loss, howsoever caused, arising directly or indirectly from reliance on the information on this website. Please seek appropriate legal advice from one of our suitably qualified lawyers if you require assistance.