Request a quote

Lost Title Deeds

If a property in England and Wales is registered with the land registry then no title deeds will be required to be produced for a sale or any other dealing with the property. You can carry out a quick search at the land registry to see if a property is already registered.

If the property title is not registered and you believe you own a particular piece of land or property, then we can assist you with an application to the land registry for ‘possessory title’. The land registry will usually only grant a possessory title if documentary evidence of ownership cannot be produced. Possessory title is the lowest class of title that can be granted by the land registry stating that you are in possession of the land. After a certain period of time you can make a further application to upgrade the title to an ‘absolute’ title.

If you’d like more information, please visit our residential conveyancing solicitors page.

For further information about lost title deeds, please contact a member of our Residential Property team.