Changing a child’s surname: what’s the process?

Year Published: 2019

Changing a child’s surname is more common than you might think, particularly when parents are newly married, separated or were not married at the time of the birth. The process of changing a child’s surname varies depending on who’s involved and the arrangements which are in place.

The process if a child arrangements order is in place:

Where there is in place a child arrangements order in respect of the child, either the written consent of everyone who has parental responsibility is required, or there must be an order of the court obtained to change the child’s name.

The process if a child arrangements order isn’t in place: 

If there isn’t a child arrangements order, then those with parental responsibility must act in consultation with each other to agree the change.

Those who have parental responsibility will be:

  1. The mother automatically.
  1. The father if he was married to the mother or if he was registered on the child’s birth certificate after 1st December 2003.
  1. The father if he has signed a formal parental responsibility agreement with the mother.
  1. The father if he has been granted parental responsibility by virtue of a court order.

If only the mother has parental responsibility, the mother can act independently and can without consultation, change the child’s surname.

Once there is an agreement between all with parental responsibility, the change of name will need to be evidenced by a deed poll or statutory declaration exhibiting the written consent of all who have parental responsibility.

What if no agreement on changing a child’s surname can be made:

I have had parents in dispute regarding the change of their child’s surname, with the father wanting his name to remain as a connection between him and the child, the mother being concerned that in her new household, all had a common surname but this child and the child felt alienated from the family unit as a result. The impasse was resolved amicably by an agreement to double-barrel both surnames.

If you wish to have a statutory declaration drawn up to effect a change of name, contact our Family Law team on 0161 475 7676.

Related Tags: ,

Share This:

Disclaimer: Our insight & opinion content provides general information and although we endeavor to ensure that the content is accurate and up-to-date, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to its accuracy or completeness and therefore the information should not be relied upon. The content should not be construed as legal or other professional advice and SAS Daniels LLP disclaims liability for any loss, howsoever caused, arising directly or indirectly from reliance on the information on this website. Please seek appropriate legal advice from one of our suitably qualified lawyers if you require assistance.