Elderly, Care and Mental Capacity

How can our Elderly, Care and Mental Capacity team help you?

The Elderly, Care and Mental Capacity team deals with problems that typically, but not only, affect older people and those with disabilities.

Elderly Care

If you, or a relative, are thinking of moving in to a care home, or are starting to plan for your future, it can often seem daunting. There’s lots to consider and you will no doubt have a lot of questions, such as how do I choose the right care home? Do I qualify for NHS or Local Authority funding?

With the right legal advice, it doesn’t have to be a daunting process. Our team can help guide and advise you each step of the way to help you achieve the best outcome. By helping you to understand how care is funded and what the likely costs will be, you can plan for the future in the most efficient manner.

As people get older it can become increasingly important to feel that your affairs have been put in order. You can rely on us to act in your best interests and be reassured that your future care needs are met.

Mental Capacity

When planning for your future, it’s important to consider who would make decisions for you if you are unable to do so as a result of a loss in mental capacity. In order for a person to legally make decisions for you, a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) needs to be created so that you can appoint the person as an Attorney. You can create an LPA for either your property and finances or your health and welfare.

Appointing an Attorney is an effective way of making sure that someone you trust can make decisions for you. Leaving you with the peace of mind that any decisions are made in your best interests. You can also appoint a professional person as an Attorney.

If you have a friend or relative who has already lost mental capacity and can no longer deal with decisions relating to their property and finances, or their health and welfare you can make a request to the Court of Protection to be appointed as their Deputy and be given the power to make decisions on their behalf.


 It is not just older people who require care. Our Elderly, Care and Mental Capacity team also frequently advise the families of children with physical and learning disabilities, and adults with disabilities who rely on the care system. This may involve a dispute over funding with the NHS or Local Authority, and problems relating to accommodation or service provision.

 Our service:

Our specialist team pride themselves on working with people and their families to make sure that they understand the problems which you may be facing. The team will listen to what you want to achieve and then tailor their advice to give you the solution which is right for you.

We strive to be the trusted adviser for you and your family and through our network of contacts we can help you find a solution to most care needs and problems, not just those with a legal element to them.

We can help you with:

  • Advanced decisions for health (Living Wills);
  • Care funding advice including NHS and Local Authority funding;
  • Powers of Attorney including Enduring and Lasting Powers of Attorney;
  • Acting as a deputy or attorney;
  • Court of Protection applications;
  • Discharge from hospital procedure;
  • End of life care;
  • S117 aftercare after detention under the Mental Health Act.

Our team are passionate and committed to this area, for us it’s a vocation not a job.

Within our team, Justine Clowes and Genevieve Powrie, are members of Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) which is a national organisation of solicitors who specialise in aspects of the law that effect elderly people. As members, we can give you the confidence to know that you’re being looked after and that any decisions are made with your best interests at heart.

Contact us:

For more information on our elderly, care and mental capacity services, please contact our team via our contact form or call us on 0161 475 7676.