Accepting a new friend on Facebook?

Year Published: 2012

If you have lost contact with someone – for example an estranged spouse – and you want to get divorced, sell a house or obtain a passport for a child, what can you do?

Historically you have had to do everything within your powers to try to trace the person, such as bailiffs, relatives, friends and employers. Sometimes it is almost impossible to find someone, particularly if they do not want to be found, but to proceed with a divorce you must prove service, or at least that the person concerned has received the papers. Not always an easy task.

However, in a new development and for the first time, the court has decided that service of papers can be effective using Facebook. A real sign of the times that we now move in. It will not be an easy task, but when all else has failed – it is something to consider.

If you want to know more about the legal issues around divorce and separation then contact a member of our Family team on 01625 442100.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

Share This:

Disclaimer: Our insight & opinion content provides general information and although we endeavor to ensure that the content is accurate and up-to-date, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to its accuracy or completeness and therefore the information should not be relied upon. The content should not be construed as legal or other professional advice and SAS Daniels LLP disclaims liability for any loss, howsoever caused, arising directly or indirectly from reliance on the information on this website. Please seek appropriate legal advice from one of our suitably qualified lawyers if you require assistance.