I have received an Enforcement Notice, can and should I appeal it?

Year Published: 2016

It is possible to appeal against an Enforcement Notice. If you have been served a notice you have one month from the date the notice was served to lodge an appeal to your local Magistrates’ court.

There are many reasons that you may wish to appeal a notice. The notice may not have been correctly addressed and/or served upon you. You may not understand what you are alleged to have done wrong and/or what the regulator requires you to do to put it right. Alternatively, you may not agree that what is alleged is a non-compliance and as such you may consider that the notice has been inappropriately served.

It is always worth checking whether a notice has been properly served. Such notices sit on your enforcement record and can adversely affect your position going forward. Future breach of such a notice is a criminal offence. If a notice has not been properly served then it should be cancelled and removed from your enforcement record. We have successfully challenged such notices for a number of our clients.

If you have been served with a notice and want to know whether or not there are grounds to challenge it then please get in touch with our Food Regulatory team and we will advise you on your options.

Share This: