At SAS Daniels we have a dedicated Food Regulatory team advising businesses on a wide variety of food law matters.
The law places the onus on all food business operators to achieve compliance with detailed and complex regulations and legislation. Our specialist team can help guide you through this difficult and often confusing regulatory landscape.
We advise on all food law matters including food hygiene, food safety, labelling, advertising and health and nutrition claims. We act for a range of clients including primary producers, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers.
If you need guidance on the introduction or development of internal systems, such as HACCP Plans or crisis management and due diligence systems, or you need advice and representation when a problem has arisen and you find yourself in a breach, we are here to help.
How can our specialists in food law help your business?
Our specialist team is professional, enthusiastic and approachable. We understand the food industry and are committed to providing you with the best advice and representation available in order to deliver a service beyond your expectations.
Our experience in food regulatory matters includes:
- The defence of prosecutions brought by the Food Standards Agency (FSA), the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and Trading Standards. This includes assisting clients during the investigation stage of a prosecution by attending PACE interviews and/or preparing written statements in response to the allegations which have been made. As well as preparation for and attendance at court.
- The defence of prosecutions by local councils. For example, the breach of permitted hours under planning consents and statutory nuisances such as smell or noise.
- Disputes with the Agricultural and Horticultural Board over payment of levies.
- Challenging the service of Remedial Action Notices (RANs) and Hygiene Improvement Notices (HINs) via an appeal against the decision of an authorised officer in the Magistrates’ Court.
- Appealing decisions by the FSA to revoke a plant’s licence to operate, which has put the plant under threat of closure.
- Challenging FSA and DEFRA decision making via judicial review and internal appeals.
- Assisting our Corporate team in the sale and purchase of food businesses by providing support and undertaking due diligence.
- Keeping our clients up to date with the current state of the law.
We also provide bespoke in-house training on food regulations. If you wish to enquire about this service please contact us.
Our Food Regulatory team will take the time to get to know you and understand your business fully. This way we can tailor our advice to suit your individual business needs and get the best result for you and your business.
For advice on any food law matters or further information about our services, contact us today.
You can also read more about services by downloading our Food Law leaflet