Court of Protection Deputies

Often, our clients’ families are faced with a situation where an older relative has lost capacity, usually due to a diagnosis of dementia, but they have not made a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) or Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA). Often this is brought to the fore because the person is needing care in a care home setting and their money needs to be accessed so that the family can pay the bills.

In this situation, the only way in which the family can access the finances of their family member, is to make an application to the court for a Deputy to be appointed, who can then deal with property and financial affairs.

This can be quite a drawn out process and a medical practitioner or social worker has to complete a capacity assessment form to confirm that the application is needed. We can help you to make the application to ensure the process is as straightforward as possible.

If you would like to find out more about the role of a Court of Protection Deputy, please speak to a member of our team.