Legally Changing Your Name

At SAS Daniels we can help you with legally changing your name.

Some common reasons that people choose to change their name:

  • Divorce or separation
  • No longer identifying with a name due to gender identity issues
  • To have the same surname as their child

We can help you to change your name by using a legal document known as a ‘Change of Name Deed’. One of our family law solicitors will prepare this document for you and once it is properly signed and witnessed it can be used as evidence of changing your name.

This option is only available to adults over the age of 18. If you wish to change a child’s name, this can also be arranged but it is a more complex process as it requires the consent of all people who have parental responsibility to agree or court order.

If you are legally changing your name because you are transgender, a change of name deed can be used to change your name on your passport. However, a change of name deed will not change the gender on your passport. If you wish to change your gender you will need to send to the passport office:

  • A gender recognition certificate or;
  • A letter from your doctor or medical consultant confirming your change of gender is likely to be permanent.

If you would like to discuss an issue with one of our family law solicitors, please contact us and one of our specialist team will be happy to advise you.